The Amerikanka is back! Have been swamped with work and then on a brief trip across the pond. I am still a little overwhelmed with all the work I have to do before I leave next week (for good this time) but wanted to quickly update.
It is still cold cold cold here but I am beginning to realize that a lot of that is because the buildings are not well-insulated and the heating systems are not efficient at all. Hmmmmmmm. I guess that is what you get heating old buildings with portable electric radiators and air conditioners?
For the past few weeks I have been eating at the religious restaurant in downtown Podgorica. A colleague took me there, promising that I would be able to eat everything on the menu. I scoffed at this-- my dairy allergy combined with my dislike of red meat does not leave me a lot of options when it comes to eating out in Montenegro (tuna salad, trout, and chicken sandwich are about all I have managed to find). What I didn't know is that the weeks leading up to the Orthodox Christmas (it is on January 6 I think) are a "fast" period where practicing Orthodox Christians are forbidden to eat meat and dairy. During this period, observant Orthodox Christians can eat fish, chicken, and vegetables. I admit to not understanding why this is a "fast" (a fast is when you don't eat), this seems more like the Catholic period of Lent.
Just because real dairy isn't allowed doesn't mean that fake dairy products are forbidden-- there are dishes with soy cheese and even desserts that are all friendly to those of us who can't have dairy! I go there 3-4 times a week and have basically stopped cooking...
It is still cold cold cold here but I am beginning to realize that a lot of that is because the buildings are not well-insulated and the heating systems are not efficient at all. Hmmmmmmm. I guess that is what you get heating old buildings with portable electric radiators and air conditioners?
For the past few weeks I have been eating at the religious restaurant in downtown Podgorica. A colleague took me there, promising that I would be able to eat everything on the menu. I scoffed at this-- my dairy allergy combined with my dislike of red meat does not leave me a lot of options when it comes to eating out in Montenegro (tuna salad, trout, and chicken sandwich are about all I have managed to find). What I didn't know is that the weeks leading up to the Orthodox Christmas (it is on January 6 I think) are a "fast" period where practicing Orthodox Christians are forbidden to eat meat and dairy. During this period, observant Orthodox Christians can eat fish, chicken, and vegetables. I admit to not understanding why this is a "fast" (a fast is when you don't eat), this seems more like the Catholic period of Lent.
Just because real dairy isn't allowed doesn't mean that fake dairy products are forbidden-- there are dishes with soy cheese and even desserts that are all friendly to those of us who can't have dairy! I go there 3-4 times a week and have basically stopped cooking...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home