I subscribe via email to the Southeast Europeans Times. It is an easy way for me to keep in touch with what is going on around me because I cannot read the newspapers here (although the Serbian language lessons are coming along, more on that another time). They publish in all of the languages of the region (Bulgarian, Romanian, Greek, Albanian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Macedonian, and Turkish as well as English). In view of my previous posting critiquing certain practices of the Ministry of Tourism here, I feel it is only fair to share the following article from this morning's SE Europe Times: "Montenegro Sees Upswing In Summer Tourism" http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/features/setimes/articles/2005/10/10/reportage-01
I encourage you to check it out. Note a few things: first the article discusses only the coastal region and does not refer in anyway to the northern region. Second, in the second to last paragraph the author says that you must take any data about tourism in Montenegro with a grain of salt... The article also points out that tourists do not have a huge effect on an economy because of their low purchasing power. This makes sense when you think about (although admittedly it is not something that I have ever really thought about-- I struggled through all of my economics courses and prefer not to look back!)
I encourage you to check it out. Note a few things: first the article discusses only the coastal region and does not refer in anyway to the northern region. Second, in the second to last paragraph the author says that you must take any data about tourism in Montenegro with a grain of salt... The article also points out that tourists do not have a huge effect on an economy because of their low purchasing power. This makes sense when you think about (although admittedly it is not something that I have ever really thought about-- I struggled through all of my economics courses and prefer not to look back!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home