Yesterday I went with my colleague and friend (I guess we are friends—I spend more time with her than anyone else here), M to her hairdresser for a cut and highlights. Once we arrived, we sat and had coffee and discussed what was to come. I tried to be as explicit as possible. The one thing I didn’t want was the zebra-like look that a lot of women around here are sporting (alternating very blond and very black streaks). After 3.5 hours in the chair, I do indeed have a new look. Its not exactly what I was expecting but it’s nice. Some of the blond streaks are a bit too blond but it all blends nicely together. And the cut is excellent. Apparently this woman who did my hair used to work for the most famous Montenegrin hairdresser (they have heard of him in Belgrade! Very famous…) After a few years after, she branched out on her own and last year she bought the small space where she did my hair yesterday. In a country where most young people live with their parents even after they are married, and (with few exceptions) the only people who own their own homes or apartments do so because they were living there before 1990 (they year that communism collapsed here), it is refreshing to see a young person work hard and be successful.

4 Comments:
At 9:53 PM,
Anonymous said…
Very interesting stuff. I love hearing about it. Keep the funny stories about your co-worker, pirated TV and highlights coming. Party on! Anna
At 8:49 AM,
Anonymous said…
I know I haven't written you an email in a while but I happened upon your email with this link in it and I clicked on it. Very interesting! Please keep writing these, I think I am going to become a regular reader! Love you!
Marissa
At 8:51 AM,
Anonymous said…
Wow I just realized that it says 8:49 AM on my comment. It is 11:49 PM here, way too late for me. But I am not going to sleep until I am done watching Days...
Marissa
At 5:42 PM,
Miss Kim said…
I worked up the courage (once) to go to an Albanian hairdresser. I paid 300 lek (3 USD) for a fairly good cut and blow dry. But I still haven't found the courage to get a colour done- but i'll need to very, very soon- it's scary! :)
Kim
Post a Comment
<< Home