Dobro Dosli!

Friday, September 02, 2005

I just found out some disturbing news. A high-level official of the Ministry of Interior was gunned down outside his home on Tuesday. It's safe to call this a political assassination, because Montenegro just doesn't have random drive-by shootings. This man was the head of the criminal investigations unit in Montenegro. He was dealing with several high-profile cases including the 2004 assassination of the editor-in-chief of "Dan" the opposition party's daily newspaper.
There are several disturbing things about this incident. Apart from the obvious-- its a political assassination that happened less than 3 miles from where I live and work-- no one here seems to be talking about. Of course the daily newspapers covered the story, but with very little investigation. The coverage is merely the details of the killing, where he was shot etc. No meat to the story. And now, three days later, still nothing. It's as if everyone knows who did it and no one is willing to say anything. In a way I don't blame them, but in order for things like this to stop happening someone has to speak out.
The political situation here in Montenegro is so complex, that I know that I don't know enough about it to pass judgement or to really have an opinion (sometime I will write about the much anticipated independence referendum that is supposed to be happening next year). But I feel that in this case I can safely say that this is not okay and that something should be done. Political killing is not the way that a healthy society should be functioning-- you don't take someone out because you don't like how they are doing their job or because of their politics. Or at least you shouldn't. I know this might seem hopelessly naive on my part, but I prefer to think of myself as an idealist in this sense.
Also-- the work that I am doing here in Montenegro is supposed to be making it a better place for the people here and perhaps something like this makes me feel like we aren't really making progress at all. And it makes me sad.
***Disclaimer: I know I am not an expert on Montenegro and I am sure that I know a lot less than there really is to know about this assassination, but this my blog so I am voicing my thoughts and opinions.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:37 AM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said…

    Your disclaimer applies to me too!

    It is really unsettling how these assassinations almost seem like a regular way of life here.

    It seems like anyone who's anyone has received serious death threats.

    I get nervous if I'm out in a cafe and a local bigwig sits down near me. You know? The more bodyguards they have the more nervous I get. Nevermind if it's a known mafia person.

    It really is terrible and this recent assassination makes me sad too.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger John1975 said…

    To be honest I do not know anthing about Montenegro.

    I constantly ran into corrupt, greedy and ruthless indiviudals in the R/S of Bosnia.

    And you are right, things will not improve until someone speaks up. The problem is, the people, the average, ordinary citizen feel they will not have the "back-up", so to speak, from their local authorities and their government.

    It's a sad and heartbreaking situation to say the least.

    God's speed!

    John

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker