Friday afternoon, 4:35pm and I just want to go home. Its been a long week, filled with a variety of incidents with a crazy coworker. It has become obvious that what I have in the past attributed to cultural differences is really just one loopy person who has no boundaries and doesn't know when to quit.
I have vented to a few of you about this particular person, S, in recent emails and MSN chats. She completely crossed the line yesterday when she made a scene because I wouldn't give her a cover letter of mine to copy for her graduate school applications. I sent her template that I had from a career workshop I attended at school. But instead of thanks, I got "This is not what I asked for. Why won't you give me yours to copy?" yelled into my ear. Yes folks, copy... This is after she had asked me for help in writing her letters of recommendation for her (she is planning on forging the signatures of her professors or she knows someone with the right stamp, I don't want to know) and I refused. The last time I checked, plagerism wasn't one of the qualifications that institutions of higher education looked for in students. Also-- if she can't write a simple letter (or Google "cover letter" and figure it out for herself) she is going to have a problem in grad school. This person has been a constant source of irritation since I arrived in Montenegro. She is operating on a whole different wavelength than the rest of us and my other colleagues have assured me that what I am not seeing is a cultural difference, but the actions of a very strange person.
But enough of that. I am sure I will have more stories about S as the weeks roll on. I am leaving to meet my parents and sister in Budapest next week and I can't wait. A little vacation is definetly in order. Unfortunately my boss has just assigned me a large project that needs to be completed by the end of September. This would not be a problem if it were something that I could complete on my own, but it involves working with our local partner organization. And things with them tend to move at a slower pace than I would like and that is putting it mildly. So I will be a busy bee up until my departure next Friday. The blog will be on hold while I am gone, but I promise to have lots of stories about Hungary to share with you upon my return.
By the way, now you can leave comments on my blog without registering with blogspot.com, so please share your thoughts on the blog! I would love to know what you think.
I have vented to a few of you about this particular person, S, in recent emails and MSN chats. She completely crossed the line yesterday when she made a scene because I wouldn't give her a cover letter of mine to copy for her graduate school applications. I sent her template that I had from a career workshop I attended at school. But instead of thanks, I got "This is not what I asked for. Why won't you give me yours to copy?" yelled into my ear. Yes folks, copy... This is after she had asked me for help in writing her letters of recommendation for her (she is planning on forging the signatures of her professors or she knows someone with the right stamp, I don't want to know) and I refused. The last time I checked, plagerism wasn't one of the qualifications that institutions of higher education looked for in students. Also-- if she can't write a simple letter (or Google "cover letter" and figure it out for herself) she is going to have a problem in grad school. This person has been a constant source of irritation since I arrived in Montenegro. She is operating on a whole different wavelength than the rest of us and my other colleagues have assured me that what I am not seeing is a cultural difference, but the actions of a very strange person.
But enough of that. I am sure I will have more stories about S as the weeks roll on. I am leaving to meet my parents and sister in Budapest next week and I can't wait. A little vacation is definetly in order. Unfortunately my boss has just assigned me a large project that needs to be completed by the end of September. This would not be a problem if it were something that I could complete on my own, but it involves working with our local partner organization. And things with them tend to move at a slower pace than I would like and that is putting it mildly. So I will be a busy bee up until my departure next Friday. The blog will be on hold while I am gone, but I promise to have lots of stories about Hungary to share with you upon my return.
By the way, now you can leave comments on my blog without registering with blogspot.com, so please share your thoughts on the blog! I would love to know what you think.

2 Comments:
At 1:00 PM,
Sara said…
Hiya Beks,
Have a great time with your family. I'll miss you on MSN. Ditch S if you can... she seems a little "unbalanced". ;)
At 2:04 PM,
Belgrade Daily Photo said…
Hey! Love your blogspot url 'amerikanka'. In fact I found your blog because I was looking to see if that name was free! I'm an American living in Belgrade, Serbia. I'm thrilled to find your blog because it seems expat blogs in this region are few-and-far between. Yay! :)
Would you mind if I linked to you?
Post a Comment
<< Home